Thursday, June 18, 2009

So I'm Old-Fashioned!



Okay, I am really going to try to not make this too lengthy, but there is so much going on that I want to share, so I am not sure how well that plan will work!
The Friday before school was out I volunteered to chaperone Ethan's field trip to Science Central and the Victory Museum in Auburn. Little did I know that it was going to be one of the most tiring days of my life!!!! It turned out that they were trying to fit all of us parents and two 1st grade classrooms onto ONE BUS! We were sitting four to a seat! First of all, it wasn't comfortable, probably not legal, and lastly....I think a bottle of excedrine before I left would have helped! Haha! I love being around kids but when you are all cramped in a teeny tiny bus and they are all screaming and yelling, it can really try your patience! haha! Science central was fun, but the kids didn't really want to stop long enough to try and understand the concepts of what they were seeing. I tried to make my group listen for a minute, but that plan kind of went out the door. We ended up spending the last half hour on the jungle gym. I think they would have been happiest there! I think that maybe when they are older, they will like Science Central a little bit more. To me it seemed a little bit much, but it was still SO MUCH FUN!


After lunch at Science Central, we left for the Victory Museum in Auburn. It really has three different sections to it. One is the WWII section, the Car section, and then a TV section. The kids really liked some of the cars but the WWII museum was the big hit! They had SO MANY huge tanks, and actual guns, clothing, letters from soldiers, dog tags, and things from the nurses that served as well. They had dozens of manequins dressed up in full uniform standing in and around Army wagons, tankers and other vehicles. The kids loved to learn about the war, yet they didn't quite grasp that it was truly important to our history. They just think it's like it is on TV. Part of me wishes that they won't grow up to understand that people and countries sometimes just don't get along and that was is very real. Here is a picture fromt he museum. Ethan and his friend Christian were hiding behind their sandbags; of course shooting their air rifles. ;)
In the car part of the museum they had the A-Team van, the General Lee, Michael Waltrip's car, Dale Sr. and Jeff Gordon's cars, and when we got there, they told us that just an hour before we arrived, they got the batmobile there! It was awesome to see. Here are some pics from that...













After that trip was done we all crammed back into the bus for a long....loud....ride back. After I was back home I couldn't have been happier, because I got to spend the whole day with my little man. That was the best part of all. I loved it!
The other thing I am so excited to share, is that Chad and I took the kids up to a little "Petting Zoo" kind of think in Topeka. Chad passes it on his way home from work and saw it one day and told us about it. We decided that this last weekend we were going to go and see what it was all about. I AM SO GLAD WE DID! This Amish family runs this "Zoo" and it was $6 for adults, $3 for children, and 2 and under were free! They have bags of food that you can feed the animals with for only $1, and it really goes a long way. They had way more than I could have ever imagined and I was suprised I hadn't heard about it before. I thought it was better than Black Pine! They had a Lion, Tigers, Bears, Deer, Reindeer, Arctic Foxes, Camels (and camel rides), goats, a bobcat and a cheetah (? I think it was ?). You could feed almost everything. The kids LOVED IT! Natalie was so happy when the teeny baby bear ate her apples, and Ethan loved to feed the monkey's because they would pick the peel right off of the bananas. It was soooo much fun! If anyone is looking for something fun to do, then this is the place to go. I only have two pics from that b/c my phone wasn't cooperating but here they are!














Te little "zoo" was so much fun, by my favorite part came after we left. Chad had heard about a little old fashioned soda fountain that was in a VERY VERY little town called Emma. He read about it in some magazine like country living or good housekeeping. He couldn't remember which one, but we ended up finding it. It was THE BEST little soda fountain ever! I didn't get pictures of every part of the shop, but I did get a bunch that were super cute. It was reminiscent of days gone by, which is what I truly LOVE. The kids had beef and noodles, I had chicken and noodles, and Chad, (of course) had a big cheeseburger and fries. They had two different cases full of amish baked goodies but we had already stopped off at The Bread Box Bakery in Shipshewana and didn't want to spoil the dessert we would have later! I had more fun at this little tiny soda fountain than I did anywhere else. We spent a lot of time driving around and just looking and of course we stopped off at some primitive shops (which are my favorite) and checked out a few things. I found a garbage shaker that I want so BAD! haha! I can't wait. I am going to add ALL the pics I took from the fountain. I am sure you all will enjoy them!






Lastly, I just wanted to share with everyone that I have an interview at Sacred Heart Provena on Monday for a CNA position! I am so excited I can hardly stand it. I am ready to get my foot in the door and be one step closer to finishing out school for my RN. I should be able to apply to the program in the Spring IF all goes well. :) Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this. I hope everyone is doing well!
God Bless! Ang

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Good luck at your interview. I will be praying that everything goes well. :-)