Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The "C" Word

I can't believe it's been two months since I have posted. I've been busy, but time really gets away from you, and before you know it a week turns into a month, a month into a couple more months, and so on. With this post I just basically wanted to update my friends and family on all the crazy things going on.
This is a very simplified version of a lengthy story so If I leave anything out let me know and I will fill you in. My Mama noticed a lump in her breast a while back. But after so many routine mammograms she didn't worry too much because her doctors kept telling her she was alright. They wanted to watch her and start giving her mammograms every 6 months instead of once a year, but otherwise generally was "okay". So back to where I was, my Mom notices a lump but disregards it for just a little while until she started having pain. The doctors scheduled her an ultrasound and they found a mass that was near baseball size. Immediately they ordered a biopsy. Her biopsy was done last Wednesday. Friday her results came back Friday that she has Lobular Carcinoma. Turns out that the "C" word is an extrememly rare form that is not detected via mammograms. It's only noticed by ultrasound. This in turn means that most women do not know they have it until the cancer in well underway.
I am an optimist. I choose to believe the the best possible outcome unless otherwise told. However this case is difficult for me. She met with a surgeon today, and a masectomy will be performed tomorrow. I can't imagine how my mom feels when in only one week she goes from lump, to ultrasound, to biopsy, to masectomy. All that in one WEEK. Tomorrow they are also going to inject a dye in her armpit area that will later reveal any lymph nodes and other body areas that might be infected. They are also going to give her a prognosis, and let us know what the future holds for her. The chances that the cancer has spread are better than not, but id doesn't mean that is has happened. Tomorrow we will know exactly what we are up agains. Then roughly 3-4 weeks after this surgery, she will start chemo.
I'm definitely asking for prayers since this is a definite scary time for my family. I will definitely keep everyone updated and I hope to come back with a decent report of tomorrows happenings. Thanks everyone for taking the time out of your day to read this.
Love you all,
Ang

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there!!You ALL are in our prayers!!!Love you all!!:)

Whittany

Emily said...

Your family will be in my prayers. Hope for the best!

Organizeddisaster said...

We will keep you and your whole family in our thoughts and prayers! *hugs*

Deric said...

You know I am thinking and praying for your momma and the rest of your family everyday! I talked to Aimee for a bit today. How are you girls holding up?? You girls are your mom's rock right now. Try and stay strong for her, she needs you to be strong for her! Your mom is a fighter and she knows what is all about to come. Stay positive..... and keep your mom laughing! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!
~Amanda